The perfect age for your child’s first orthodontic check-up
Is your child aged 7 years or younger? If so, then your child is ready for an orthodontic check up with the friendly dental team at Putney Dental Care. A common misconception many parents have about orthodontic treatment is that it does not begin until teen years. Statistics show that orthodontic treatment begins between the ages of 9 and 14 years on average. Whilst treatment typically begins in these ages, the recommended initial orthodontic evaluation should take place when your child is 7 years of age or younger. At this age your child has a mix of baby and adult teeth, and the jaws are developing – a critical time to assess for any issues adversely affecting growth.
Putney Dental Care is offering a FREE orthodontic consultation for your child, call us today to book a consultation on (02) 9808 2588.
An early orthodontic check-up will ensure your child achieves the perfect smile in adulthood. Even if orthodontic treatment is not required at the present time, the consultation will give our orthodontic team the necessary information to carefully monitor your child’s dental growth and development. This will be useful in coming years when treatment may be necessary.
Benefits of orthodontic checkups in early years
- At the age of 7, subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth can be identified while some baby teeth are present
- Orthodontic problems are easier to correct when found early
- Orthodontic treatment in a child’s early years aims to correct bite issues such as overbite and underbite, which reduce future orthodontic problems.
- Provides a guide to the jaw growth pattern
- Correct harmful oral habits, like thumbsucking and dummysucking
- Reduce appearance consciousness during critical developmental years
- Simplify and shorten treatment time for full braces
Signs your child should have an orthodontic consultation
- Difficulty chewing
- Early or late loss of teeth
- Misaligned teeth
- Finger/thumb sucking
- Crowded teeth
- Jaw dysfunction